From Student to PR

The misperceptions are surrounding student immigration pathway and the step by step process from a student to Permanent Residence.

Most people will not even consider this option if they have been working for a few years if the immigration pathway would require them to go back to school.

Usually, because of several reasons:

  • People believe that the cost of education in Canada is too expensive for middle-class people. When, in fact, the quality of education and living standards in Canada is among the highest in the world, but the cost of living and tuition fees for international students are generally lower than in countries such as the
  • The United States and the United Kingdom. Canada provides scholarship opportunities, bursaries and study loans to both domestic and international students.
  • Canadian organizations that support domestic and international students financially:


  • People are unaware that they are allowed to work in Canada while they study. The income as a student worker is usually enough money to supply your basic needs.
  • The question about spouse and dependent children is the number one concern for families who want to move to Canada. The spouse of a student in Canada can apply for an open work permit and work while temporarily in Canada. Primary and Secondary Education is free in Canada, and the dependent children of a student can apply for a study permit and receive free education.
  • There is also the misperception that it is a much longer process than any other immigration pathway.  I feel this is one of the fastest ways to immigrate to Canada. (Check out my post on the Timeline of Student visa vs timeline for Express Entry). Canadian employers favour Canadian education above an international education. Many Permanent Residents eventually decide to go back to school to further their careers. People also change jobs after coming to Canada because of the many opportunities in Canada.  So why not do this once during your immigration process and save time and money.
  • Lastly, people always ask me about Dual Intent. Dual Intent is allowed if the temporary Resident will leave Canada when their visa expires. Canada’s Government wants people to abide by the rules and not overstay and violate their agreement. It doesn’t mean that you are not allowed to apply for a post-graduate-work-permit. If you studied and a college or university that offers Post-Graduate-Work-Permit, you will be permitted to apply.

Step-by-Step Process from Student to PR

  1. Choose a University or College that offers Post-Graduate-Work-Permit. Make sure to contact the College/University and confirm before you proceed with your application if you can’t find the right school or have trouble confirming if they offer PGWP. Give us a call, and we will be happy to help. Contact us at – +1 437 324 0104 or
  2. Get all your immigration and College/University application documents ready.
  3. Receive a “Letter of Acceptance” from the College/University.
  4. Apply for a Study Permit at RICC.
  5. Come to Canada and work and study.
  6. Receive your Diploma or Degree
  7. Apply for Post-Graduate-Work-Permit and work for a minimum of one year to gain Canadian Work Experience.
  8. Apply for Permanent Residency in Canada

More Posts